There are many hicking routes in the region of South Pelion. Mikro is connected with a 800 m. path with Platanias. Then you can follow the routes to Lafkos (eastern, western and round route), the route to Promyri or the route to Agios Spyridonas chapel (round route).


The climbing area is only 2 km away from Mikro beach and the rocks are visible from the beach. It can be accessed either by car or on foot.
You can climb there all year long but climbing can be more pleasant during summer months and evening hours when you can enjoy the cool sea-breeze and the view to the Aegean Sea.
Possibly these rocks used to be part of a big cave as the formation includes many stalactites and pockets.


# Route Name Difficulty Comments
1. To deos tou oinopoli 5c  
2. Mausi 7b (?)  
3. Exstasy 6b  
4. Kinisi sto leuko 6b  
5. Pata to bizi 6a  
6. Barbayiannis 6a  
7. Athina 6a  
8. Andronikos 6a  
9. Rookie Jookie 6c  
10. Sqeezer 7b  
11. project 8a (?)  
12. Plati sto Aigaio (2 pitches) 6b  
13. Chara's to Kouragio sou 6c+  
14. Agnantevontas to galazio 6b+  
15. no name 7b  
16. Magitsis no name 8a (?) project
17. Dreamin Dolphin 7a+  
18. kopsi 7a/7a+

source: Climbing Greece
Fampeio Museum

Fampeio Museum

Fampeio museum is located in the old school building in Lafkos.

It was founded in 2005 in honour of the artist Thanasis Fampas (1922-2011).

In the museum are exhibited 60 paintings and 8 sculptures donated by the artist himself.
Radio Museum

Radio Museum

Radio museum ‘Antonis Tavanis’ was founded in 2008 in Lafkos and is named after the artist and initiator of this effort.
The museum houses a collection of around 130 radios from around the world. Most of them are donated by the German scientist, Wilfried Shoeps.
The Little train of Pelion

The Little train of Pelion

The story

A little train’s fascinating story and the mythical tales of Mt. Pelion, all combined in a single magical journey!

The little train of Pelion is leaving the station

10 o’clock at the Ano Lehonia Railway Station. The little train’s whistle signals the beginning of an unforgettable trip. The ascent on the beautiful slopes of Mt. Pelion has begun, History is about to unfold…

This 60cm gauge line, one of the narrowest in the world, is home to the loco and the 4 cars of “Moutzouris”, a common Greek nickname reserved for someone who turns things black, an obvious choice in the days of steam.

The terrain between Ano Lehonia and Milies is mountainous, filled with lush vegetation, mainly consisting of plane trees, olives and pine trees.

The altitude gained allows for a spectacular view over Pagasitikos bay. Add to this the fact that the little train’s maximum speed is but a mere 20km/h and one can see why spectacular vistas over gorges, magnificent old bridges and tunnels are the order of the day, thus putting together all the jigsaw bits of this scenic route.

The train’s only intermediate stop is at the Ano Gatzea station from which it toils on to Milies and towards the completion of this 15km run in a total of about 90 minutes.

Up until Milies, the route is filled with natural beauty and features numerous architectural landmarks, especially constructions from carved stone and grey limestone that form arched bridges, tunnel entries and retaining walls, an exquisite sample of which is the five-arched stone bridge of Kalorema, in the area of Malaki.

On the final approach towards Milies, the scenery becomes more extreme, with the crossing of the steel bridge of Taxiarhis, also known as “De Chirico’s Bridge” being the highlight of this last section. Here, some pretty unique engineering is at work. This is a rare occasion where a train crosses a bridge that is straight, but the tracks that lie on it are actually curved!

At the end of the route lies Milies station. Traditional guesthouses and taverns await the visitors, while a cobbled stone footpath takes you up the village’s main square (about 15m). Here one can marvel at the chuch of Taxiarhes, which had been constructed before 1741 and the library which is one of the oldest in Greece or visit the museum of folk art. The next opportunity to admire the most scenic railway line in Greece is at 15:00 when the little train will start its descent towards Ano Lehonia.


Ano Lehonia – Milies The train normally operates from spring till autumn. During this period one cyclical trip is made in the mountainous part of the line, which is the only segment currently in operation. The running time is 1h 30m (including a 15m stop at the scenic station of Ano Gatzea, where coffee, local “tsipouro” and refreshments are available). Access to Ano Lehonia Railway Station The station is situated 12km away from the city of Volos and is served by the Volos – Lehonia -Platanidia bus line, which runs on the road that heads for Kala Nera. One can also easily access the station by car as there is sufficient parking space right in front of the station building. Signposts of brown colour, clearly showing the direction in which the station lies can also be found on the main road.

Access to Milies Railway Station

The station can only be accessed by car and has limited parking space available. Signposts of brown colour, clearly showing the direction in which the station lies can be found on the main road towards Milies.

This little train has quite a story…

This historical train that used to operate the whole route between Volos and Milies is literally running on the tracks of history. Construction began in 1892 and in 1896 the first part of the line, namely until Ano Lehonia had been delivered. The rest, all the way up to Milies would have to wait for 1903. The chief engineer of the project was Evaristo De Chirico, father to the well know painter and sculptor Giorgio De Chirico, who was born in Volos. Little De Chirico was present during the construction works, observing this strange, new, means of transportation that was later to inspire him and take its place in many of his creations, usually in the form of a miniature train silhouette, half-hidden behind walls or arches, as seen through a child’s “spying” gaze into the adult world…

The mythical route

The little train of Pelion crosses the mythical routes of the Centaurs and the Dodecatheon as, according to the Ancient Greek Mythology, Pelion was the summer habitat of the twelve gods of Olympus.

Somewhere in the dense forest covering the slopes of Mt. Pelion, and in particular, where the R.R. Station of Milies is today, researchers place the site of the wedding between Pileas and Thetis (the parents of Ahcilles). Legend has is that the mythical battle involving the Centaurs and the Lapiths for the sake of beautiful Ippodameia also took place at this very site.

Deep in the gorge of Taxiarhis, on the last turn towards Milies, lies the cave of wise Centaur Heiron, a central figure in many ancient Greek myths, usually making his appearance as the tutor of Achilles. Heiron, who was a healer, had bestowed upon Achilles’s parents the spear which he later used in the Trojan War.

The cave of Heiron is exactly at the foot of the rock on which the chapel of Taxiarhis can be found today. It is said that inside that cave is the beginning of a path that connects this cave to a similar one in the area of Malaki or even further, to the hill of Goritsa, on the east side of the city of Volos.

Itinerary & Pricing

The departure time from Ano Lehonia is 10:00 (outbound). From Milies the train departs at 15:00 (inbound). On both legs, a 15m stop is made at Ano Gatzea.

Return tickets cost 18 euro for adults and 10 euro for children, while one-way tickets cost 10 and 6 euro respectively.

The train is up for rental all year round, at special prices.

For on train rental, tickets and travel schedule, please contact the TRAINOSE Travel Office at Volos, by phone/fax at 24210 39723, e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., as well as by calling 14511, which operates on a 24-hour basis.